Monday 22 August 2011

Yes, another writer's blog

I like to think of myself as a writer. This is just a hobby which is just as well as the only formal training I have had was a GCE O-level (remember those?) in English Language.

Strangely enough numbers have up to now played the larger part in my life. I had a reasonable pass in the Mathematics GCE. (Oh, what the hell, this is no time to be bashful. I achieved 96% even though I completed each exam in half the allotted time.) Anyhow this allowed me to start in accountancy and I qualified in the Seventies.

In 1980 I started with the Open University and most of the early courses were in Maths. Then I got sidetracked into the more interesting Science courses.

But through all this my interest in words was forever in the background. Mostly crosswords and word puzzles. I even started compiling but just as I got going the market was flooded with easier puzzles and these were mostly produced by 'puzzle factories'.

So I plodded on solving, winning a few prizes along the way. The euphoria when I completed my first Listener crossword is indescribable. Unfortunately, this is one where my entry has never been selected for a prize.

For the past couple of years I have tried writing fiction and feel that it is now starting to come together. So I'm actively trying to get something published and, preferably, sold.

I enjoy reading other writers' blogs so decided to join in. It would be nice if This could inspire some other story virgin but even if it just demonstrates some of the things to avoid it could still be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment