Thursday 25 August 2011

Decisions, decisions

Are you intending to enter the current Emerald Writing Workshops competition? If so then you need to get a move on. The deadline is looming, and I haven’t got an entry ready yet. That’s nothing unusual – I can never decide what to write early on in the competition. Trouble is, this one does not have a theme. Just 500 words or less on any topic.

In case you think I’m totally disorganised I should mention I had planned to rewrite an existing story for my entry. But I thought, ‘I've plenty of time, I’ll do it later’.

Well, later has arrived and for some reason the rewrite is not going to plan. I think I’m achieving the purpose of the rewrite, which was to make the scene a metaphor for the main character’s life. But I’m losing the original tension a bit. Or a lot. Perhaps I should just enter another story which I had intended to send as well. That one is a bit short and I've been looking at ways to expand it without resorting to padding for its own sake.

Well, the competition is postal entries only so I need to make a decision very soon. I don’t do decisions, not well anyway. Perhaps another cup of tea would help (a glass of wine definitely would but it’s only just after breakfast).

I’ll let you know if I managed to send an entry. Oh, and the link to the competition is here in case you have a suitable story ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment